Call our Central Nice office on: +33 (0) 4 93 16 95 81
Login French English
Translate this site in to Russian
Search for French Riviera Property
Apartment Villa/House Only New Builds

Do I have to pay tax on my rental income from my holiday apartment in France?

You are liable to French income tax on French rental earnings, even if you are not a French resident. THis applies whether you own the property in your own name or via an SCI and even if the rental income is paid into an overseas account, it must still be declared in France.

The  general principle is that rental income is liable to tax in the country where the property is situated.

Accordingly, even though you may be non-resident you will need to submit a tax return to the French authorities of your rental income in France.

In addition, you will need to declare the income to the tax authority in your own home country.

France has double taxation agreements with many countries, so in most cases you will only pay the tax in France

UK residents benefit from a double taxation treaty, which grants partial relief against liability to tax in the UK. This means you need to declare the rental income to both the French and UK tax authorities.

Where your UK tax is greater than the tax payable in France the difference is paid in the UK. However, if the UK tax is less, there is no repayment of the French tax in the UK.

In France, there is a basic rate of 20% of tax on the net rental (and other) income of non-residents, although you may be able to benefit from a lower rate, depending on the level of your worldwide income.  There are various different regimes that you can calculate your tax on, and depending on how you rent out your property and your personal situation you may find that you can pay less. We can put you in touch with a specialised consultant or recommend you read further on the following site

Since 1st January 2012 non-residents are also be liable for 15.5% social charges arising on net rental income from unfurnished lettings. The furnished lettings of non-residents appears not to be liable for the social charges, although there continue to be some uncertainty on this point.

Unlike the UK, the French tax year runs from 1 January to 31 December, with the French tax forms needing to be submitted by non-French residents to the relevant tax offices between May and June.

To discover the best areas to buy a buy to let apartment in Nice which will earn you good rental income take a look at our information on the best areas for rental investment in Nice centre