Call our Central Nice office on: +33 (0) 4 93 16 95 81
Login French English
Translate this site in to Russian
Search for French Riviera Property
Apartment Villa/House Only New Builds

If you are thinking of buying a property in France and are a non EU citizen, then you will most likely need a Visa. There are 3 types of Visa available:

-          The short-stay visa, which is mainly for tourists, and is suitable for any trip to France of up to 90 days during a 6 month period.

-          The transit visa allows visitors to stay in the ‘Schengen’ area for up to 5 days.

-          The long-stay visa, suitable for people who are after permanent residence in France.


The Visa de Long Séjour (long-stay visa)

FEES:Between £66 and £70

This visa is issued for stays lasting more than three months, and is mainly issued for education, work and family reunification purposes.

As soon as you arrive in France, you must register with the Office Français d’Immigration et d’Intégration (French Office of Immigration and Integration) or at the relevant prefecture to obtain a residence permit.


You can obtain a French visa if you are:

  • Employed (with a minimum one-year contract);
  • A temporary worker (with a contract between three months and one year);
  • A scientific researcher;
  • The spouse of a French citizen;
  • The spouse of a foreign citizen legally residing in France and you are applying for family reunification purposes;
  • A student;
  • An intern;
  • A visitor (and are able to live off your own resources in France and agree not to work).

If you are a citizen of a European Union member state, the EEA (European Economic Area) or Switzerland, then you are not required to have a Visa de Court Séjour (short-stay visa).

European regulation specifies the list of all other countries whose citizens do not require a Visa de Court Séjour to enter the Schengen area.

You will also need to be able to present documentation concerning the purpose of your visit to France (such as hotel vouchers for tourists, work contracts for travellers on business trips or paperwork for students undertaking internships.) And most importantly a valid passport if travelling by plane!!

Find out more details about paperwork here: